Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence: Day #1

I have taken many, many interest surveys throughout the years.  Of late, the most revealing have been those that explore my personal values and strengths.   Values-based experiences increase happiness, well-being and overall health.  Strengths are simply "values in action".  My number one value according to the VIA (Values in Action) Survey: Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence.  I have decided that my 53rd year will be recorded with photos of something beautiful and/or excellent every day.  Therefore, I will post a picture every day for 365 consecutive days...a sort of gratitude journal.  Here we go...

Young Girl Reading c. 1770


The Reader (French: La Liseuse) is an 18th-century oil painting by Jean-Honore Fragonard.  We had the privilege of visiting the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC today where this painting has hung since 1961.  This was a very telling work of art for its time as 19th century women were discouraged from becoming educated, when reading was considered "unwomanly".  


No comments:

Post a Comment